Friday, December 11, 2009

California Driver

When Brian and I first moved out here he read about the requirements for registering a car, etc. when you move to CA. i.e. you have 3 days to get your car registered, you have 10 days to get a CA Driver's license....blah blah blah. Every time we tried to book an appointment with the DMV to get a new license the appointment would be 3-4 weeks out. 10 days, huh? Since 2 kids have joined our family since moving here, it hasn't been a priority...until now.
My UT DL expires this month. So I went online to book an appointment...Jan 6 was the earliest they said was available. We're leaving for UT for Christmas soon, so my time line became even tighter. So yesterday morning as I'm thinking about things I HAVE to get done before we head for UT, I got an adrenaline surge to go to the DMV. And, before I could talk myself out of it, I packed up the two kids, 2 strollers, library books, toys, snacks, and lunch and headed to the DMV. I usually count on my kids being angels where ever we go...because, frankly, they usually are. What I continually forget is that even they have a time-limit for good behavior.
The first 2 hours there everyone was calm, happy, quiet and content. The last 1/2 hour was much the opposite. Let me recreate the scene.
We had just 'taken a break' while we went outside for fresh air and so I could feed AJ lunch. I thought this would buy me just enough time for me to take me test. The stroller I brought was too big to fit down the aisle of desks to go to a corner, so I had to stay up front. First thing to go wrong is AJ is done sitting in her stroller. I had to hold her while she bounced on my knee and played to game 'grab mom's pencil' the whole time. Ethan got ants in his pants and couldn't sit still either. He wandered down one aisle of desks touching all the desks (MOST were empty) I watched him and allowed it to happen until he wanted to climb over the chair to the next aisle (where there were many more people) I didn't want to risk having my test 'torn up' and getting 'kicked out' by getting out of my seat so I tried to give him the most evil eye I could...warning him he'd better get back in his seat before I.... 'before you what?' seemed to be his response. I even tried to enunciate my counting to three so he would know I was serious about something...but I'm sure he know I wasn't serious about 'leaving'. Instead of coming to me, he just stared back at me and counted with me, in his own quiet voice. (I was screaming and laughing in my head while I tried to stare him down and hoarsely whispered "Get...back...here!)
Snacks....snacks are magic.
Snacks were invented by angels. I whipped out AJ's puffy snack bites and had both of them chopping happily on them while I finished the test. (I had to hurry...I didn't think I had enough to last very long). But I still had to read each question at least 4 times, trying to focus on that and the kids...oh...and the snacks that just spilled all over the floor. One lady did quietly stand up and move as far away as she could get: the opposite corner. Thank you lady for not giving me the evil eye. Finally finished I handed my test in and about chuckled out loud when the lady asked me to take a seat until my name was called. I swear it felt like eternity.

Natalie Earl??

Good news...

I only missed one (got my alcoholic beverage questions correct!..whew! there were TWO!)

a new license is issued

Last thing...I did mouth a "sorry!" to the lady that had to move. She was done and waiting for her test score too. When did I say it? Oh, immediately after the lady at the front desk complimented me on my 'well-behaved' children. I could only manage an 'mmm-hmmm' in response to that compliment.

Done.

oh my gosh get me outta here!

I told Brian...when he goes to get a new license, he's taking both kids with him too! :)

I love my kids!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I laughed SO hard at the description! Ahhh, the joys of motherhood! :) You know we've all been there. It's only fitting that Brian should take the kids for his appointment, though I'm not sure if they deserve that sort of torture again! It's hard even for the ADULTS to sit still for that amount of time :)

hutchingsheadquarters said...

hilarious! i loved this so much b/c i felt every moment of your pain. completely and utterely powerless!! can't wait to see you!!

Elder and Sister Hale said...

So FUNNY!!!!! gotta LOVE the DMV with kids! Can't wait to kiss them.

Brenda said...

Natalie, You are amazing! I'm excited you're coming this way! Hope you'll be able to make the Hale Party.

The Walker clan said...

I LOVE IT!!! When I have to go to the Department of Workforce Services for my heath insurance crap (which is abou once every other month) They have a huge sign that sayes "keep your children quiet" and everytime I go I'm there for at least an hour. So I try to plan it right so it's not durring a mealtime or nap time and I bring lots of snacks and the double stoller. But sometimes an hour to two small children is all day...so they will act up a little and there is a cop there who goes around to anyone who has roudy children and tells them to quiet the children or go outside or come back another day. It really makes me mad!!! I can't come another day as I'm sure with most of the other mothers there. Stupid childless cop! So I understand your frushtration! But you have great children and your a great mom! Good job on passing your drivers test!!!