Sunday, May 30, 2010

Start It Out Right


Something in me has been screaming to exercise. So much so that I've started having dreams about it. I had a dream last week that Brian and I had been to the doctor and both of us were 90% body fat. Is that even possible? I don't know, but apparently my brain and body were working me up for something. I have been longing to get back on my bike since Ethan turned 1. Dreaming/longing don't count though, does it! Summer is (again!) upon us and I live in a beach city. Not that I'm worried about swimsuits, I'm more focused on the fact that I'm loosing my breath faster as I 'dance' with the kids to music on iTunes, and that my muscles shake way too quickly after a few jumps around the couch/room doing the hokie pokie. It's terribly embarrassing.
So, the day after my dream (Friday) we were shopping in Target. We were racing down the aisle to the restroom when Ethan stops dead in his tracks and points to a large box. "Look! Mom!" What is he pointing to? A bike trailer...did he have the dream too? ...ON SALE...! "Oh, we are so coming back for that!" (which we did)
Now...how do I bring this up with Brian? usually, I'll at least call him before I purchase something that's not planned for...and more than $50. . .that night I told him about my dream...and then brought him to the car (it was still in the trunk)
Even now I can't tell you if he's excited about it, but yesterday (Saturday) he assembled it while I googled "bike trails in Fallbrook" which led us to a 7.2 mile stretch of paved, mostly flat, trail that went straight to the beach. With a little drive we could park (for free!) and bike to the beach? What luck! We didn't want to go to the beach because it's Memorial weekend and perfect weather = no parking available, naturally. But if we could RIDE our bikes to the beach!!
Brian didn't think we'd make it that far, and without wanting to pressure him (because he would be doing the hardest part: pulling the trailer) didn't pack any beach gear. If he didn't have such a great endurance level, and so much love for his wife...plus adding in a few comments about burning body fat, and remembering he used to bike 7 miles (one-way) to work everyday in Logan...we probably never would have made it to the beach. But I think he felt the 'pull' just as strongly as I did. Destination: BEACH. Brian pulled Ethan in the trailer with our packed lunches, and AJ was on the seat in front of my bike. It was picture perfect. I had on a camelback and AJ would reach for it and pull it to her mouth. Ethan watched for airplanes, and gave quite a lot of people a good laugh when we had to stop for a 'potty break'. Everyone was chuckling as they rode by.
WE MADE IT! We rode our bikes to the beach. It was exhilarating. I couldn't have been happier. Even when we had to ride the 7.2 miles BACK to the car. It was seriously a great way to start the weekend.



Yeah...our butts are super sore.
Here's to a fun summer!

4 comments:

Elder and Sister Hale said...

holy smokes!! Good for you guys!!!!!!!!! Nothing like a 14 mile bike ride to create buns and legs of pure titanium.. You are an inspiration and maybe I'll get my butt in gear and ride one of the dozen bike trails right in my backyard...maybe, maybe not. Or maybe i'll just take the paved trail to the park...yep, definitely!

The Walker clan said...

You guys rock! I'm at the big fat stage of my pregnancy that I really can't wait to start working out. My brain tries to tell me I could start now but my belly and physical indurance sure has the opposite view. Can't wait to get moving again!!! I want to wear normal clothes so so so bad!!! Great inspiration and what a fun trip :)

Carrie said...

That sounds like so much fun! I have been wanting to go on family bike rides. I want to get the bike that goes on the back of Brian's bike for Beau since he needs practice and can't ride for too long himself. Bruce is just fine now on his bike and Bree is on the back of mine. When we were camping we could ride our bikes around the campsite and it was sooo much fun! That was a long ride. I am glad you were able to finally exercise and do something you enjoy!!

Kim and company said...

Hello cute cousin! I LOVE my bike trailer! I'm so happy that you got one---and WOW I can't believe you biked to the beach 14 miles round trip----that seriously makes you super cool! Way to go! Here's to many more fun bike trips! Loving it! And we will definitely call you the next time we venture to Beautiful SD!