The last weekend in April, family came to join us in celebrating Annie Jane's blessing. It was a beautiful occasion and a great weekend to spend together. It started out a little on the tricky side as we woke up on Saturday. I had finished nursing AJ and could hear Ethan playing in his bedroom. Peaking in, I saw him sitting on the floor trying to put a sock on. (so cute!) So, I fiddled around in our bedroom before going in to get him dressed. This time he was behind AJ's crib, where I couldn't see him, but I could certainly smell him. "Ethan, let's get that diaper off of you," I practically gagged. He appeared around the corner and laid down...his bottom was bare...and messy. (gasp!) "Ethan where is your diaper?? Brian! See if you can find Ethan's diaper in the front rooms!" I was wiping him up and noticing all the spots on the carpet where he had obviously sat that needed to be scrubbed. Brian came back empty handed. It stunk so bad in his bedroom! It had to be here! We looked in his bed, around the furniture...and in the garbage. Our frenzy subsided when we saw his diaper dumped in the trash can. MAN I LOVE THIS BOY! Who can get angry over that??? There was a new/dry diaper on his bed with a couple of smears on it, indicating he had tried to change his own diaper! I think even the wipes were on the floor. I still get warm fuzzies inside when I think of this innocent, brilliant child of mine that took his dirty diaper off (bad) and threw it away (awesome!) So...in addition to repeating myself from the last time this happened (we go poopoo in the toilet, or in the diaper, NOT on the floor) I had to add the rule of not removing the poopy diaper without Mom or Dad. Of course I added, THANK YOU for throwing it in the garbage though!!!
When that ordeal passed and everything was cleaned up, the weather on Saturday allowed us to spend the day at the beach. There was nothing to do BUT relax, fly kites, eat crackers (Ethan couldn't get enough...thanks Doug!), eat fruit, and swim. Ethan was loving the freedom and the attention. AJ was loving the snoozes. All was calm, until some exciting things started to happen...Mom Earl decided she wanted to try the skim board (!) and Doug and Brian went to fly their kites....up up up...until their strings ran out. A never before tried ordeal for Doug's kite. He was one happy camper.
After the beach, most went to hit Legoland, which is free for the last hour. Mom & Dad Hale, AJ and I went to the Carlsbad flower fields. Mom had seen them two years ago when Ethan was born and wanted to show Dad. We finally learned the names of the flowers that are planted...nearly fifty acres of Giant Tecolote Ranunculus flowers. (yes, it's a mouthful that I'll probably forget how to pronounce). To top the day off we ate dinner at In-N-Out (always a favorite for everyone) and headed home. Ethan was in heaven with this many cousins. He especially had a bond with Johnny whom Ethan would call "Dada". It was a joke between him and Johnny, as Johnny would reply "I'm not your Dada!" Peels of laughter from Ethan energized this game to last all weekend....even to this day (May 10) when we talk about it he'll say, "Dada!" and laugh and laugh! He misses them a lot.
Ethan with his cousins
Sunday was of course the highlight of our weekend. I couldn't wait for this little girl to receive this special blessing from her father. She was beautiful in the morning, and smiling big (plus had an empty stomach) so I took the opportunity to do a couple of photos. Mom Earl had crocheted the beautiful pink & white blanket that is behind her.A funny thing (that's turning no-so-funny now) happens at our church on certain days ..Father's Day (thought it was a funny coincidence)...Super Bowl Sunday (okay, it's a tricky trick)... Annie Jane's blessing day (more time with family, but oh brother!)... Mother's Day (stop! already!) I personally met Stinky Sewer and Trashy Toilet on Super Bowl Sunday. 2nd stall in the women's bathroom has a drain in the floor....I watched a spider crawl out of the drain (gross, I thought)...oh! it was trying to not drown in the black oozy water coming up behind it. (I barely escaped!) So on Annie Jane's blessing day we were excused (once again) after our Sacrament meeting. Talk about inconvenient. My parents then left for the airport earlier than planned, my cousin Alyson had brought a a co-worker with her who had been interested in coming to investigate. Ahhh well, it was still a very spiritual day. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing until I took the chance to bear my testimony. I am grateful for our Father's plan of happiness. It couldn't have been named anything else. Happiness is the best feeling of all. Since we had extra time on our hands I took Mom Earl with me to photograph Annie in some wild flowers that I love.
The weekend came to a close too quickly. The rest of the family left about 4:30PM...all was quiet once again (but it wasn't welcomed). Thank you everyone who came, and who wanted to come. Our little princess is so precious to us. Her smile radiates the purity of the heaven from whence she came. She is our littlest beacon of light, shining just as strong next to our son, Ethan.

2 comments:
Funny poop story again! What great memories to share with his future wife! Keawe says maybe he needs shorts on for bedtimes!
LOVE the pictures of AJ! You need to blow the last one up to a 11x14 at least! Wish again that we could have been there. It is so weird to not know this little one of yours. I still can't believe you have a daughter....love the stories!
I hope you copy the last picture and hand it out. I want that one on my fridge :) I wish we could have been there!!! What a sweet dolly she is. Ethan cracks me up! I love that he has enough sence to do the right thing with the diaper ;) Good lookin toes!
Post a Comment