I think we sung "Happy Birthday" to him +7 times so he would really understand that this was his day. He quickly got the gist of opening presents (because his first gift...from AJ...was a Matchbox semi-truck and a thomas the train engine). He was only excited about his new shirt after I pointed out the monster dump truck on the front.

While Ethan was taking his nap I finished the cake. It turned out so great, I could hardly believe it. It feels good to attempt something you've never done and have success at it. I told Brian that I must give credit to my parents for my confidence in trying new things. I just strongly feel that they were always encouraging me to believe in my ability to succeed. (a great big thank you to Mom & Dad!) Somewhere recently I read/heard (I can't remember) that some things you cannot learn simply by reading about it. Somethings you actually have to do...in order to learn how to do it. Like playing the piano, oil painting, etc. I've just added cake decorating to that list. This is called a Frozen Buttercream Transfer. I'm excited to do another cake...


Ethan looked excited about the cake, and I think he really was excited about Super Why. He even called it "Super Why Treat!" But he certainly wasn't excited about tasting the icing. Maybe he too, was just as impressed as I was that it looked so fun!
We had a BBQ scheduled with our friends at a nearby park (Simmons Family) that we were getting ready for (the cake was coming with us) but we had one more birthday present before we left.

We had a BBQ scheduled with our friends at a nearby park (Simmons Family) that we were getting ready for (the cake was coming with us) but we had one more birthday present before we left.
I should realize in the future that even though Ethan is tall for his age, and seems to be very advanced in some areas (I thought for sure he'd pick up on this bike in no time) . . . when the box says "Ages 3 - 5"...maybe it's referring to height. His legs are too short to reach the pedals! So now it's our turn to push and run and push and run this little tyke up and down the street so he can enjoy his bike. I didn't think I was signing up for heavy cardio workouts when we purchased it. Well, he'll grow, and we'll have fun until then too!
When we headed to the park and met our friends I was reminded and grateful about how simple we were keeping this birthday celebration. I watched two other families pack up their kid's monstrous birthday parties and thought "My kid will never know what that will be like! (thank goodness)" It's always great to get together with friends and bond. We had a lot of fun just chatting, eating, and soothing tears (Ethan skinned his elbow on the asphalt).
At the end of the day Brian asked if I had a fun day. I told him I had a blast! He looked at me and said, "Serious?"
"Yeah."
"Good. I don't think you've had that kind of a day in a long time."
"Nope. But today was a blast!"
Guilt......gone.
Even if Ethan didn't eat his cake.
When we headed to the park and met our friends I was reminded and grateful about how simple we were keeping this birthday celebration. I watched two other families pack up their kid's monstrous birthday parties and thought "My kid will never know what that will be like! (thank goodness)" It's always great to get together with friends and bond. We had a lot of fun just chatting, eating, and soothing tears (Ethan skinned his elbow on the asphalt).
At the end of the day Brian asked if I had a fun day. I told him I had a blast! He looked at me and said, "Serious?"
"Yeah."
"Good. I don't think you've had that kind of a day in a long time."
"Nope. But today was a blast!"
Guilt......gone.
Even if Ethan didn't eat his cake.

9 comments:
Wow! I can't believe it is/was Ethan's birthday already! Didn't he just turn one like yesterday? Happy Birthday Ethan. You sure have a cute mom who made an awesome cake. Way to go Natalie! Are you guys coming to Utah anytime soon? We want to play!
Love ya,
Brynn and Eric
Wow you had a SUPER BIG PROBLEM trying to figure out how to have the confindence to make the cake...but with the help of the Super Readers you got your answere...DO IT YOURSELF! Congrats Nat! :) What a cute 2 year old you have! Wow he's 2!!!
That is one AMAZING looking cake!! Alakai just asked me when we were going to that party so he can have that cake...you'll have to do it again I guess....hee hee.
Grow legs grow! Grow legs grow! Reeeeeeeeeeach those peddles!
What a fun birthday! I see that Brynn posted a comment already and sums up everything. So what else can I say...?
Awe!!!! Happy birthday our not so lil' Ethan! He's growing up so fast! You must be proud to have such an awesome lil boy! He's just amazing! I love him to death! I LOVE the cake, by the way!!! It's adorable!
Wow..amazing cake!! It turned out sooo cute! It sounds like you guys had such a fun couple of days. I can't believe Ethan is 2 already?!
That cake is FABULOUS! I am totally impressed. Happy birthday to your cute little guy. I hope it was a great day.
nat, you've such a beautiful family! i love the picture of annie in the wildflowers. i am VERY impressed with your superwhy cake. logan's bday is this coming sunday and he just loves superwhy as well. it's funny because we got logan a bike, too....hopefully his feet will reach the pedals! i wish we were closer!
How fun! You're header is sooo cute! Wow, and what a cake! I'll have to look into that stuff! Yeah for trying new things!
Post a Comment