Sunday, May 3, 2009

Easter Bunnies, Rain, Wind & possible snakes

It's funny that when writing a journal, no matter what form...I can't seem to 'move-on' without first 'catching-up'. Everything seems too important to skip when writing it down! It's catch-up time! Welcome to Easter Weekend

We decorated eggs Friday night...too fun to do it during the day, so we waited for Dad to come home! Ethan was intensely interested in this. They were definitely 'treats' to him. So much supervision caused us to go quite quickly! Ethan picked out all of the facial features for each egg. They were HIS eggs to decorate!


Saturday morning bright and early we took Ethan to our ward easter egg hunt. There was all this yummy food (breakfast casseroles, muffins, OJ, cinnamon rolls) But it was cloudy, threatening rain, cold and windy! AJ needed to eat as soon as we arrived, so I left Ethan & Brian and sought refuge in the church. This was a morning she spent her sweet time, so by the time I got outside, breakfast was eaten, wind was blowing, rain was falling, and kids were gathering to the lawn where the Easter Bunny had dumped his eggs (literally). Brian took the camera and captured some 'in-the-moment' pics. It didn't take too long for Ethan to figure out the 'game' :) Too bad the rain and wind chased everyone away way too early. We paused for a quick pic before heading out too. Rainy days and egg hunts just don't seem to mix!

AJ is in the pic...buried under blankets and her bunny hat

When we returned home, I was quite bummed. You see, I had our whole day planned to be away from home. There were Easter festivities in practically every city, and it was supposed to be sunny, so if all else failed (i.e. lame festivities) there was always the beach. Well, we regrouped and Brian, seeing my unhappy countenance agreed to venture outside again ("there doesn't seem to be any clouds by the ocean," I cried!) So we cruised to Poinsettia Park in Carlsbad to their "eggstravaganza". Lines were impossibly long, tickets prices way too expensive for a 'not-quite-two-year-old' so we walked around trying to enjoy the grass beneath our feet. Yes, we were still disappointed, but I was on a mission to 'have fun, dang it!' and nothing was going to stop me. These were memories in the making! While Brian ran after Ethan, I waited in line for a 'spin-the-wheel-everyone-wins-a-prize' game. A dollar a spin. I couldn't believes the $ people were feeding the money takers!! We put out $2. Ethan spun it both times. And he won a game and a chocolate rabbit. Not bad bud! Good spins! We found our way to the playground where there is always a guarantee to have fun on the twisty slide. I think he went on it 20 times..without stopping!



We left soon after, mommy having had her 'fun' outside, daddy playing the good sport, and Ethan & AJ...well, at least I'd like to think that they'll enjoy looking at pictures about a day they don't remember. (I did it for them!!! really!!) Our last laugh was this warning sign:

Not exactly the kind of sign you want to see leaving the party.

We picked up strawberries from the Carlsbad strawberry patch and went home to make strawberry freezer jam while the kids were asleep. It also was the perfect time for the Easter Bunny to come to our house. All in all, it was a fun Saturday, even with the detours! ..mission accomplished!
Ethan & AJ with their stash of easter fun!

2 comments:

Elder and Sister Hale said...

You had fun!! Think of all the snakes you missed, Ethan got candy, yummy breakfast, and Easter bunnies! Not to mention the strawberry jam you whipped up! What a fun day! (Except I didn't get to hold A.J., so there was a little disappointment for her..sorry.)

The Walker clan said...

You didn't do the bunny hop. ;) but all in all what a great day! I especially love the home decorated eggs. Fun faces. Kendra said "Silly Ethan" :)